Updated Sept 2017
Parents of gender creative kids in Victoria have come together to share resources and experiences. Collectively, they are learning how best to enable their kids to live fantastic, gender creative lives! And along with that, they are finding ways to support each other through the challenges that can arise, be they personal, social, or systemic.
The group runs the 2nd Wednesday of the month from 7-9pm at Commonwealth Place, Upside Teen Lounge, 4636 Elk Lake Drive (traditional territories of the WSÁNÉC people).
Starting in the fall of 2017, there will also be a session hosted on the 4th Sunday of the month from 1:30-3:30 pm at Nellie McClung Library. These sessions will have a specific focus/topic, and will often involve having facilitators from the community offer education, resources, and support.
For more information or to RSVP attendance, please email our very own Alyx MacAdams at
Each group is co-facilitated by trans activist and MSW student, Alyx MacAdams, and a parent of a trans child (on a rotating basis). Families in attendance represent an age range of children and youth, gender identities, and expressions.
Typically, groups begin with a check-in which leads into a flowing conversation. There is a wealth of knowledge and information in the group, and it is an excellent place to not only find support, but to ask questions, and learn about resources.
Light snacks (gluten & dairy free options) and tea are provided at each group.
Group Accessibility info:
*Being better about accessibility practices is a work in progress, and this list is incomplete. If there is information that is missing or if you have further questions, please do not hesitate to contact email@example.com.*
- This group is free! If you are interested in making a donation, you are welcome to do so, but there is absolutely no requirement.
- Currently, we are not offering childcare because the time is usually too late for children young enough to require childcare. At this moment we cannot guarantee childcare, but we may, at times, have some funding available for at-home childcare. Infants who need to be close to their parents are welcome to attend. Please get in touch if you have any specific needs or requests.
- Bus tickets are available, and there is a possibility of ride-sharing with other families. Please get in touch if a ride would make this group more accessible for you.
- Parking is free.
- The group is facilitated orally and in English. The range of the group can vary but is currently smaller than 20. You will never be required to speak, and may pass in check-in/closing rounds. From 6:30-6:40 and after group there is usually casual social time over snacks.
- ASL or other language interpreters are more than welcome to join, but unfortunately we do not have funding to pay interpreters.
- Participants are welcome at any time, whether that means arriving late, or leaving mid-way through, we welcome your presence.Two gender-inclusive, single-stall, washrooms are available in the Upside Teen Lounge. Accessible washrooms are available throughout Commonwealth Place facilities.
General Accessibility info for Saanich Commonwealth Place:
- Accessible washrooms and change rooms
- Accessible parking spaces
- Accessible electronic entry/ramps
- 3 wheelchair accessible family change rooms with lifts
- Accessible weight room with adapted equipment
- Aquatic wheelchairs on deck
- Covered entrance
- Designated handyDART loading zone
- Elevator to weight room and lower floor
- Overhead lift with sling providing access to tots pool and hot tub
- Pool lift providing access to teach pool, dive tank and competition pool